Sunday, June 15, 2008

I'll come back when you call me, no need to say goodbye

Today as I was walking to work I saw a very plain looking man wearing a t-shirt that said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", which started me thinking. I was thinking about how interesting it is that our society has so formed the idea of beauty, how it has dictated and established how "beautiful" is defined. When I think of the apex of beauty, and how I would look had I a choice, it's always in the form of a model's body: thin legs, thin arms, thin torso, with just the right measurements. The fact that I just was not born with this sort of body really, really bothers me, and it bothers me that it bothers me. The fact that I cannot see and appreciate my own unique beauty without reminding myself that I am a size eight, and not a size two, that I have an ass, that my waist is not 24 inches around and that the size of my boobs entails that I have to wear a bra is really quite devastating, when I think about it. I have a horrible self image. Now obviously not all of it is the fault of society, but honestly, I don't think society does much to counter this sort of belief. I think that is why I enjoy the fashion blogging community so much, because I feel like real girls are getting their say in the fashion world, although I also feel that most of them are real girls that are much skinnier than I...

Overall I think the point I am making is that every now and then I think the world needs a reminder that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. 

I'd love to hear your opinions/comments on the matter. Tell me of your thoughts loves.

xo
a