Monday, July 14, 2008

Wrackspurts and Patroni

All I want to do is lie around and read Harry Potter. The passion with which those books seize me is really quite incomparable to anything else in the world. In fact, I just read the seventh one (for the second time) in two days, and now all I can think about is how much I want to be in Harry Potter, and how silly real life is, because I am not a witch and didn't go to Hogwarts. In fact, I started the series when I was ten, and on my eleventh birthday, when I didn't get a letter from any witch's and wizard's school I was absolutely crestfallen. 

Perhaps I'm just overly fanciful, but I really do wish such a world would exist, even if I am not immediately part of it. I think, in all reality, that I am drawn to fashion because of this deep streak of fanciful-ness that I have always had. As a kid I loved to play dress up, and was constantly making up stories in my head, in which I was magical, or a
 fairy, or some other sort of fantastical adventurer. I have recently realized that I still do this exact thing, only it is to a much more "realistic" degree. Every day when I get dressed I create a character for myself, and when I step into the clothes, I step into who I want to be for the day.

I think also that reading Harry Potter reminds me of that much more beautiful aspect of my person- becoming immersed in his story draws out the longing in me to be something different, something more, someone that believes that anything can happen, and that anything is possible. He brings out the little girl in me, who I so often shut in a closet under the stairs- even if it's only accidental.

And on that very tangental note, here are some pictures that are inspiring me today (especially the first three):


photos from roxanneparker's flickr

p.s. sorry the photos won't enlarge- I'm not sure what's going on with my blogger account, but lately it's not been uploading photos correctly...anyway if you click on the link you can see the photos their original size on flickr. Much love to you all.